Frame Contemporary Art Finland has opened a new round of grant applications for international contemporary art projects featuring Finnish and Finland-based artists in 2023. From 1 to 30 November applications are invited for Project Grants. Travel Grants can be applied continuously.
Frame’s grants are available to artists, contemporary art professionals, and local and international contemporary art organisations. The grants are awarded to promote and support the presentation of Finnish art abroad, such as for the purpose of international exhibitions and publications, the participation of Finnish galleries in international art fairs and networking-related travel by contemporary art experts.
Grants are awarded in the following fields: visual art, photography, media art, applied art, comics art, performance art and sound art.
Call for project grant applications throughout November
Project grants can be applied for by organisations planning international contemporary art projects with Finnish and Finland-based artists in 2023. In addition, project grants are available to artists and organisations for the purpose of producing international art publications.
The deadline for project grant applications is Wednesday, 30 November 2022 at 11.59 pm Finnish time (GMT +2).
Artists and art professionals can apply for travel grants at any time
Frame accepts applications for travel grants for 2023 continuously starting 1 November 2022. Travel grants are available to artists, art professionals and workgroups:
- Visual artists who are Finnish or based in Finland can apply for travel grants for exhibitions outside of Finland. Artists can apply for our grants to cover the expenses of travel, accommodation, transport and insurance.
- Finnish and Finland-based art experts can apply for travel grants for work-related trips abroad.
- Foreign contemporary art experts can apply for travel grants for work-related trips to Finland.
- Organisations based in Finland can apply for travel grants in order to invite a foreign art professional to Finland.
Travel grant decisions for artists are made every second month. Decisions regarding travel grants for art experts are made four times a year.
How to apply
All applicants will be informed of Frame’s decision personally by email. The names of grant recipients will also be published on Frame’s website.
Upcoming online grant info
We will host a general information session on grants via Zoom on Tuesday 15 November between 11 and 11.45 am Finnish time (GMT +2). During the session Grants Coordinator Jaakko Uoti will talk about Frame’s grants and the November call for project grant applications.
There is no need to register in advance for the info session. The event will be held in English.
Book a grant clinic appointment
We will conduct one-on-one grant clinics via Zoom or by phone on Tuesday 15 November between 1 pm – 4 pm Finnish time (GMT +2).
During the clinic appointment, you may ask our grant coordinator about how to apply or about Frame grants in general. The grant clinics are held in Finnish and English.
The first 7 people to sign up for the clinics will be admitted.
Frame grants in a nutshell
- Frame awards grants to promote Finnish contemporary arts internationally. With our grants we promote the international career development of Finnish artists or artists based in Finland by promoting their networking and opportunities to exhibit or perform abroad.
- A total of over 600 artists and art practitioners apply for Frame grants every year. The sum applied for annually is 2 million euros. On average we award grants for 170 projects and over 200 artists and art experts per year.
- Annually Frame awards a total sum of 270,000 euro in grants.
- There are two rounds of project grants and six rounds of travel grants. Travel grant decisions for artists are made every second month, and for art experts four times a year.
Jaakko Uoti, Grants Coordinator
tel. + 358 (0) 50 308 7293