Frame Contemporary Art Finland has opened a new round of project grant applications for international contemporary art projects featuring Finnish and Finland-based artists in 2023. From 1 to 31 March applications are invited for project grants. Travel grants can be applied continuously.
Frame’s grants are available to artists, contemporary art professionals, and local and international contemporary art organisations. The grants are awarded to promote and support the presentation of Finnish art abroad, such as for the purpose of international exhibitions and publications, the participation of Finnish galleries in international art fairs and networking-related travel by contemporary art experts.
Grants are awarded in the following fields: visual art, photography, media art, applied art, comics art, performance art and sound art.
Call for project grant applications throughout March
Project grants can be applied for by organisations planning international contemporary art projects with Finnish and Finland-based artists in 2023. In addition, project grants are available to artists and organisations for the purpose of producing international art publications.
The deadline for project grant applications is Friday, 31 March 2023 at 11.59 pm Finnish time (EEST).
Artists and art professionals can apply for travel grants at any time
Travel grants are available to artists, art professionals and work groups. Frame accepts applications for artists’ travel grants for 2023 continuously from 1 November 2022 to 31 October 2023. Art professionals can apply until 31 August 2023.
- Visual artists who are Finnish or based in Finland can apply for travel grants for exhibitions outside of Finland. Artists can apply for our grants to cover the expenses of travel, accommodation, transport and insurance.
- Finnish and Finland-based art professionals can apply for travel grants for work-related trips abroad.
- Foreign contemporary art professionals can apply for travel grants for work-related trips to Finland.
- Organisations based in Finland can apply for travel grants in order to invite a foreign art professional to Finland.
Travel grant decisions for artists are made every other month. Decisions regarding travel grants for art professionals are made four times a year.
How to apply
All applicants will be informed of Frame’s decision personally by email. The names of grant recipients will also be published on Frame’s website.
Upcoming grants info session
Frame hosts a general info session via Zoom on Wednesday 15 March at 11.00–11.45 am Finnish time (EET). During the session Frame’s Grants Coordinator Jaakko Uoti talks about Frame’s grant application procedure.
No pre-registration is needed for the grants info session. The event will be held in English.
Book a grant clinic appointment
After the info session between 1 pm and 4 pm Finnish time (EET), we will host one-on-one grant clinic appointments. The appointments are 20-minute phone call slots or personal meetings via Zoom. During the appointment, our Grants Coordinator Jaakko Uoti will give guidance to help you compile your application and answer questions about Frame’s grants.
Register a grant clinic appointment latest by March 13 – appointment slots are available for 7 first registered.
Frame grants in a nutshell
- Frame awards grants to promote Finnish contemporary arts internationally. With our grants we promote the international career development of Finnish artists or artists based in Finland by promoting their networking and opportunities to exhibit or perform abroad.
- A total of over 600 artists and art practitioners apply for Frame grants every year. The sum applied for annually is 2 million euros. On average we award grants for 170 projects and over 200 artists and art experts per year.
- Annually Frame awards a total sum of 270,000 euro in grants.
- There are six rounds of travel grants and two rounds of project grants.