Frame Contemporary Art Finland has opened a new round of grant applications for international contemporary art projects featuring Finnish and Finland-based artists in 2022. Starting 1 November, applications are invited for both Project and Travel grants.
Frame’s grants are available to artists, contemporary art professionals, and local and international contemporary art organisations. The grants are awarded to promote and support the presentation of Finnish art abroad, such as for the purpose of international exhibitions and publications, the participation of Finnish galleries in international art fairs and networking-related travel by contemporary art experts.
Grants are awarded in the following fields: visual art, photography, media art, applied art, comics art, performance art and sound art.
Project grants 2022: Call for applications throughout November
Project grants can be applied for by organisations planning international contemporary art projects with Finnish and Finland-based artists in 2022. In addition, project grants are available to artists and organisations for the purpose of producing international art publications.
The deadline for project grant applications is Tuesday, 30 November 2021 at 11.59 pm Finnish time (GMT +2).
Travel grants 2022: Artists and art professionals can apply at any time of the year
Frame accepts applications for travel grants for 2022 continuously starting 1 November 2021. Travel grants are available to artists, art professionals and workgroups:
- Visual artists who are Finnish or based in Finland can apply for travel grants for exhibitions outside of Finland. Artists can apply for our grants to cover the expenses of travel, accommodation, transport and insurance.
- Finnish and Finland-based art experts can apply for travel grants for work-related trips abroad.
- Foreign contemporary art experts can apply for travel grants for work-related trips to Finland.
- Finland-based organisations can apply for travel grants in order to invite a foreign art professional to Finland.
Travel grant decisions for artists are made every second month. Decisions regarding travel grants for art experts are made four times a year.
How to apply
All applicants will be informed of Frame’s decision personally by email. The names of grant recipients will also be published on Frame’s website.
Upcoming online grant information sessions
Frame is organising an information session, where the Grants Coordinator Veera Lizé will provide details about the grant application procedure. The online event is held in Finnish and in English.
Grant information session in Finnish: 10 November at 10 am via Zoom. Duration: approx. 40 minutes.
Grant information session in English: 10 November at 11 am via Zoom. Duration: approx. 40 minutes.
There is no registration. We have a capacity for 100 guests in both grant info events.
Book a grant clinic appointment
We are arranging a grant clinic on Wednesday 10 November between 1 pm and 4 pm Finnish time (GMT +2). Book an appointment for personal guidance and let us help you compile your application!
The appointments are 20-minute phone call slots or personal meetings at Frame’s office at Ratakatu, 1b A 9, Helsinki. You can ask about your application and our Grants Coordinator Veera Lizé will share further details about Frame’s grants.
Frame grants in a nutshell
- Frame awards grants to promote Finnish contemporary arts internationally. With our grants we promote the international career development of Finnish artists or artists based in Finland by promoting their networking and opportunities to exhibit or perform abroad.
- A total of over 600 artists and art practitioners apply for Frame grants every year. The sum applied for annually is 2 million euros. On average we award grants for 170 projects and over 200 artists and art experts per year.
- Annually Frame awards a total sum of 270,000 euro in grants.
- There are six rounds of travel grants and two rounds of project grants.
Veera Lizé, Grants Coordinator
tel. + 358 (0) 44 728 9914