Frame hosts curatorial residencies and collaborates with international partners in organising artist residencies for Finnish artists abroad. Our residency activities aim to offer research opportunities, increase collaboration and insights into curatorial practices.
HICP – Helsinki International Curatorial Programme
Frame hosts a curatorial residency programme in collaboration with HIAP – Helsinki International Artists Programme. The residency provides a space for research or artistic work on the beautiful island of Suomenlinna. The programme offers opportunities for deep insight into Finnish contemporary art and an opportunity to research future exhibition or publication projects. The open call for applications for the HICP residency programme is in October. A residency is offered to four international curators annually.
HICP Curators 2017
- Gina Buenfeld (residency at HIAP Cable Factory in June 2017)
- Kris Dittel (residency at HIAP Suomenlinna in November 2017)
- Blanca Victoria López (residency at HIAP Cable Factory in June 2017)
- Carolina Ongaro (residency at HIAP Suomenlinna in November 2017)
HICP Curators 2016
- Richard Birkett, Artists Space, USA, 6.6.-6.7.
- Marianne Mulvey, Great Britain, 2.-29.9.
- Xavier Acarín, USA, 2.-30.11.
- Adelaide Bannerman, Great Britain, 2.-30.11.
HICP Curators 2015
HICP Curator 2014
Frame collaborates with international organisations who provide residency opportunities for Finnish artists.
In the period 2015–2016, we have collaborated with the Finnish Institute in London. The artist residencies in Great Britain are at the Wysing Arts Centre in Cambridge and the White Building in London. Both organisations have offered one residency each for a Finnish artist. In 2015 we also collaborated with Akiyoshidal International Art Village and the Finnish Institute in Japan.
Artists and residency organisations 2016
- Artist Henna-Riikka Halonen, Wysing Arts Centre / The Finnish Institute in London
- Artist Jenna Sutela, The White Building / The Finnish Institute in London
Artists and residency organisations 2015
- Artist Essi Kausalainen, Wysing Arts Centre / The Finnish Institute in London
- Artist Kimmo Modig, The White Building / The Finnish Institute in London
- Artist Mari Mäkiö, Akiyoshidal International Art Village / The Finnish Institute in Japan
Curator Yasmina Reggad participated in the HICP residency programme in 2015. Photo: HIAP.