Talks and events
Talks form a core part of Frame’s work in Finland. Our talks programme offers a platform for discussions on international trends in contemporary art and current practices in Finland.
Upcoming talks and events
13 March 2019: Epistemic Hospitality
Epistemic Hospitality is a day-long discursive event held on the 13th of March in Helsinki, marking the first event in Frame’s public programme Rehearsing Hospitalities.
The event brings together art practitioners to ponder how artistic, curatorial and institutional practices can foster and host versatile knowledges and ways of knowing. It is organised by Frame Contemporary Art Finland in collaboration with the Bioart Society, Instituto Iberoamericano de Finlandia and Goethe-Institute Finland.
One of the event’s key concerns is questioning what or who plays a decisive role in determining which forms of knowledge are considered valid. It asks: how can feminist curatorial practice, new artistic paradigms and the decolonization of Western art histories elevate diverse knowledges and ways of knowing? How can these practices bricolage, engage and work with knowledges situated within a wide range of human and non-human transcultures?
The discussions and exchanges are built around a series of talks and dialogues, as well as the working process of Pia Lindman, Bioart Society’s current exhibiting artist and artist in residence. Participants of the event are artist Razan Abou Askar, philosopher Rick Dolphijn, curator Giovanna Esposito Yussif, researcher Eeva-Kristiina Harlin, curator and researcher Maria Iñigo Clavo, artist Kristiina Koskentola, artist Pia Lindman, artist Anni Puolakka, artist and researcher Sepideh Rahaa, art historian and curator Regine Rapp, curator Elina Suoyrjö, curator Jennifer Teets, curator and director Jochen Volz.
Frame Espresso talks
- Frame Espresso: Collectivity Beyond Global North
- Frame Espresso: Talks on collectivity, 2018
- Frame Espresso: Codependence III, 30.11.2017
- Frame Espresso: Codependence II, 18.11.2017
- Frame Espresso: Codependence, 5.10.2017
- Altern Ecologies Book Launch and Discussion, 8.9.2016
- Frame Espresso: On Art and Politics, 17.2.2016
- Frame Espresso: Contemporary Art and Transculturalism, 22.9.2016
- Frame Espresso at the Turku Biennial, 11.6.2015
- Frame Espresso: The Future of Art Magazines, 26.2.2015
- Frame Espresso II, 9.4.2014
- Frame Espresso I, 4.2.2014
Curating in Context
Meet the Curator talks
- Cory Scozzari, 13.11.2018
- Adwait Singh & Isabel de Sena, Curators, 12.6.2018
- Ceci Moss & Rob La Frenais, Curators, 15.5.2018
- In Conversation: Curator Andrew Berardini & Artist Maja Luutonen, 19.4.2018
- Kris Dittel & Carolina Ongaro, Curators, 2.11.2017
- Gina Buenfeld & Blanca Victoria López, Curators, 8.6.2017
- Xavier Acarín & Adelaide Bannerman, Curators, 10.11.2016
- Mike Egan, Gallerist, Curator, Writer, 25.10.2016
- Elspeth Mitchell, Curator and Researcher, 11.10.2016
- Marianne Mulvey, Curator and Writer, 22.9.2016
- Mami Kataoka, Chief Curator of Mori Art Museum, 13.9.2016
- Richard Birkett, Curator of Artists Space 28.6.2016
- Esa Nickle, Programme Director of Performa, 14.6.2016
- Blanca Victoria Lopez Rodriguez, Curator of Havana Biennial, 9.5.2016
- Sarat Maharaj, Curator and Professor, 5.4.2016
- Poka-Yio, Director of the Athens Biennial, 8.3.2016
Morning Coffee Club talks
- Nathalie Anglès: Residency Unlimited, 17.5.2018
- Tiina Raitanen: Render, 30.8.2016
- Maija Blåfield: Golden Age, 25.5.2016
In February 2016 Frame Espresso was organised at the Sinne Gallery. The topic of the talk was the recently published book Art and Politics (eds. Terike Haapoja, Minna Henriksson and Jussi Koitela). Photo: Rosa Kuosmanen.