Talks and events
Talks form a core part of Frame’s work in Finland. Our talks programme offers a platform for discussions on international trends in contemporary art and current practices in Finland.
The talks programme has three threads. Frame Espresso is a forum for critical discussions on current trends, topics and challenges within contemporary art. Frame Espresso is a wandering event that pops up at changing venues. It is organised in collaboration with various art organisations.
The Morning Coffee Club is a series of discussions presenting one work by one artist. The coffee club is organised in collaboration with the HIAP Helsinki International Artist programme and it takes place at the Frame office. Meet the Curator gives voice to the international guests hosted by Frame through the curatorial residency programme and the international visitor programme.
In 2015 Frame hosted its first annual one-day forum for the Finnish contemporary art sector. The focus of the Art (Net)Works event was on the international aspects of the Finnish contemporary art ecosystem. Frame has organised 21 talks from 2013 to 2015 with a combined turnout of over 1,000 participants.
Frame Espresso talks
- Altern Ecologies Book Launch and Discussion, 8.9.2016
- Frame Espresso: On Art and Politics, 17.2.2016
- Frame Espresso: Contemporary Art and Transculturalism, 22.9.2016
- Frame Espresso at the Turku Biennial, 11.6.2015
- Frame Espresso: The Future of Art Magazines, 26.2.2015
- Frame Espresso II, 9.4.2014
- Frame Espresso I, 4.2.2014
Meet the Curator talks
- Xavier Acarín & Adelaide Bannerman, Curators, 10.11.2016
- Mike Egan, Gallerist, Curator, Writer, 25.10.2016
- Elspeth Mitchell, Curator and Researcher, 11.10.2016
- Marianne Mulvey, Curator and Writer, 22.9.2016
- Mami Kataoka, Chief Curator of Mori Art Museum, 13.9.2016
- Richard Birkett, Curator of Artists Space 28.6.2016
- Esa Nickle, Programme Director of Performa, 14.6.2016
- Blanca Victoria Lopez Rodriguez, Curator of Havana Biennial, 9.5.2016
- Sarat Maharaj, Curato and Professor, 5.4.2016
- Poka-Yio, Director of the Athens Biennial, 8.3.2016
Morning Coffee Club talks
- Tiina Raitanen: Render
- Maija Blåfield: Golden Age
In February 2016 Frame Espresso was organised at the Sinne Gallery. The topic of the talk was the recently published book Art and Politics (eds. Terike Haapoja, Minna Henriksson and Jussi Koitela). Photo: Rosa Kuosmanen.