Talks and events
Talks form a core part of Frame’s work in Finland. Our talks programme offers a platform for discussions on international trends in contemporary art and current practices in Finland.
The talks programme has three threads. Frame Espresso is a forum for critical discussions on current trends, topics and challenges within contemporary art. Frame Espresso is a wandering event that pops up at changing venues. It is organised in collaboration with various art organisations.
Curating in Context – A lecture series allowing insight into the diverse curatorial practices of international guests hosted by Frame, reflecting on the latest developments, initiatives, and organisational models within various contexts of contemporary art.
Meet the Curator – A series of informal discussion events focussing on the current projects and research of curators taking part in the curatorial residencies and the international visitor programme organised by Frame.
In 2015 Frame hosted its first annual one-day forum for the Finnish contemporary art sector. The focus of the Art (Net)Works event was on the international aspects of the Finnish contemporary art ecosystem. Frame has organised 38 talks from 2013 to 2016 with a combined turnout of over 1,000 participants.
Frame Espresso talks
- Frame Espresso: talks on collectivity, 2018
- Frame Espresso: Codependence III, 30.11.2017
- Frame Espresso: Codepencende II, 18.11.2017
- Frame Espresso: Codependence, 5.10.2017
- Altern Ecologies Book Launch and Discussion, 8.9.2016
- Frame Espresso: On Art and Politics, 17.2.2016
- Frame Espresso: Contemporary Art and Transculturalism, 22.9.2016
- Frame Espresso at the Turku Biennial, 11.6.2015
- Frame Espresso: The Future of Art Magazines, 26.2.2015
- Frame Espresso II, 9.4.2014
- Frame Espresso I, 4.2.2014
Curating in Context
- Natasha Ginwala, 18.4.2018
- Lumi Tan, 28.3.2018
- Katerina Gregos, 16.11.2017
Meet the Curator talks
- In Conversation: Curator Andrew Berardini & Artist Maja Luutonen, 19.4.2018
- Kris Dittel & Carolina Ongaro, Curators, 2.11.2017
- Gina Buenfeld & Blanca Victoria López, Curators, 8.6.2017
- Xavier Acarín & Adelaide Bannerman, Curators, 10.11.2016
- Mike Egan, Gallerist, Curator, Writer, 25.10.2016
- Elspeth Mitchell, Curator and Researcher, 11.10.2016
- Marianne Mulvey, Curator and Writer, 22.9.2016
- Mami Kataoka, Chief Curator of Mori Art Museum, 13.9.2016
- Richard Birkett, Curator of Artists Space 28.6.2016
- Esa Nickle, Programme Director of Performa, 14.6.2016
- Blanca Victoria Lopez Rodriguez, Curator of Havana Biennial, 9.5.2016
- Sarat Maharaj, Curator and Professor, 5.4.2016
- Poka-Yio, Director of the Athens Biennial, 8.3.2016
Morning Coffee Club talks
- Tiina Raitanen: Render, 30.8.2016
- Maija Blåfield: Golden Age, 25.5.2016
In February 2016 Frame Espresso was organised at the Sinne Gallery. The topic of the talk was the recently published book Art and Politics (eds. Terike Haapoja, Minna Henriksson and Jussi Koitela). Photo: Rosa Kuosmanen.